Saturday, April 27, 2013

Just Us April by Wendy Tunison Designs

With Mother's Day fast approaching, I've got a fun hybrid project that would be a fun gift for Mom! First off, here's the kit I used for this project, Just Us *April*, doesn't it just scream spring?


I have had my eye on this project for a while, it's homemade scratch off tickets! Have you seen these on Pinterest? I saw several examples run past my eyes, one is from Like a Pretty Petunia & the other was from ArtMind; they looked really easy so I was just waiting for the perfect chance to try them out. Since these lovely ladies already had some great pictures of the process & I can't find my second set of hands (really need a better/stronger tripod for my new camera) I'm just going to give everyone some tips about the project.

For supplies you'll need the following (in addition to your ticket of course):

(1) Contact paper - found in the shelf liner section of your local store, make sure you get the smooth clear version. I picked up one roll & found that while it was clear, it was bumpy so pick the right one.

(2) Paint brushes - get some small ones!

(3) Dish soap - any kind you have on hand will do, not sure if hand soap will work.

(4) Metallic acrylic paint - you can use any color you like although silver is traditional. Also make sure you don't get distracted by metallic looking paint that has sparkles in it, that stuff will not work! Not like that happened to me or anything, forcing me to go back to the craft store. LOL.

To make my ticket I came up with the ticket below using Just Us *April*; my ticket has three spots for prizes & some cute wording at the top but you could put as many spots as you want.


Now it's a little hard to tell from the picture, but the ticket on the left is a flat ticket (all printed together) & for the one on the right I separated out the different sections, printed them out & then assembled it. Well, I guess you can tell by the downward slant on the prize section, lining things up by hand is not my forte.

After the cards were printed & assembled, I put my contact paper just over the prize sections. In addition, I wanted to attach a quarter to the ticket; I put a very small piece of contact paper over where you see that brad at the top of the ticket. Then I put a little of my dot glue on the contact paper & pressed the quarter down over the brad. Held great & didn't rip the ticket when I pulled it off.

Another good tip is to find a cardboard cracker/cereal box & cut out a back for your ticket. I didn't like how flimsy the ticket felt when it was printer & assembled so I just sliced up a box in the recycle bin to be a little bit smaller than the ticket & glued it to the back. Made it much sturdier.

Mix up your paint & dish soap with a ratio of 2 parts paint to 1 part soap. A little bit of this stuff will go a long way, I used 1/2 tsp of paint & 1/4 tsp of soap & still had tons left over when I was done. Carefully paint over the prizes, making sure to stay on the contact paper; let dry. You will probably need to do a second coat to make sure the prizes are fully hidden; just make sure it is completely dry before you give the ticket away. So cute!


As I needed to show what the tickets looked like after they had been scratched off, I let Jake do the honors. He had a blast!


Here's what the ticket looks like when scratched off, in theory you could repaint the tickets & reuse but what fun would that be? Hope you enjoyed this project!

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely ADORABLE, Steph! Thank you for the project, tips, and Jake's photos! SUPER idea to include the quarter!

    ReplyDelete