Monday, May 6, 2013

Spring Fling by Wendy Tunison Designs

Hi everyone, it's Stephanie the hybrid chick again! Ever had a panic moment where you needed a little gift for someone fast? Like really, really fast? I've been there in the past but have found a great way to take care of a quick gift: Candy & digital hybrids!

For my latest oh-my-goodness-I-need-something-fast adventure, I luckily had some candy hanging around the house & the lovely new kit from Wendy, Spring Fling from the May GingerScraps Buffet. Here's a look at all the pieces to this great collection.




Just lovely & totally giving off the spring vibe. I needed to whip up something quick to give out to my boys' teachers & while scrounging around in my house for ideas, I came across a pack of Starburst candies. Score!

In my opinion, candy is the easiest thing to dress up with a quick hybrid project. For loose candies like Hershey's Kisses, the fastest way would be to make a quick bag topper, pop the candy in a clear Ziploc bag & attach the topper. Or if you have a bar wrapped candy, just make a quick candy wrapper to go around the bar.

For the Starburst candy, I did some quick measurements to find out how long the pack was & high the sides were. Bonus points for square candy making those measurements easier! In Photoshop, I made a rectangle that was the side height x 5 & the length of the bar. When making a candy wrapper, it's always important to add a little to the height to make sure the wrapper covers the whole candy.

Then I found the middle point of the rectangle & started designing. Since I knew that each side was about .75 inches wide I was able to use guide lines to keep the important part of my design, which was the text, from being creased when I folded the wrapper. However, I do love making a wrap around design so I had some of my cluster go past the guide lines.

To finish off the candy, all I had to do was print, cut & wrap! As you can see below, this made a very cute & very easy gift.


I think the whole project took me about 30 minutes from start to finish, the longest part was making my cluster look pretty, I'm still working on that particular skill! Once I had the first wrapper done, it was simply a matter of getting my hands on more candy & printing out more wrappers. If you've got kids who are allowed to use scissors (mine aren't), you could set up a little assembly line & get a bunch done in no time at all. Hope this has given you some good ideas for fast (& yummy) gifts!

No comments:

Post a Comment