Monday, October 28, 2013

Turn It Up Hybrid by Wendy Tunison Designs

Wendy Tunison Designs' hybrid chick Stephanie here again with another fun project. I just love making unexpected projects with kits & this time I used Wendy's new kit Turn It Up for my project. This is a great kit to use for any kid who likes to rock 'n roll!


But it's also good to use for fun projects that have nothing to do with rock 'n roll! For example, I have been collecting Box Tops for Eduction for my boys' school & they were just hanging out in my cupboards in a glass jelly jar. Boring & kind of a pain to unscrew the lid every time I had more box tops to add to the collection. Then I cleaned out my fridge & ended up with an empty Parmesan cheese jar. Light blub! Check out what I did!


Now it's so much easier to add box tops to the stash, I just open the large shaker section & drop them in. Plus I don't have to worry about dropping the jar & having it break (a concern with a house full of boys & a dog underfoot all the time). How I made this was really easy but I forgot to take pictures, here comes the written instructions.

First, find a jar you'd like to use. It can be any type of jar you have on hand, if you don't have a Parmesan cheese jar you can always punch a hole in the lid of another jar to avoid that pesky unscrewing problem. Wash & dry the jar & lid.

Next, measure the circumference & height of your jar; if the jar is tapered at the top, only measure up to where the jar starts to bend in. In your scraping program, create a rectangle with your measurements. I also like to measure out where the design will go on the front, how bit you make it is totally up to you!

Have some fun designing your label, even though Turn It Up is a rock 'n roll kit, there were plenty of generic elements included to use for my label. Print & cut it out, make sure that it fits nicely on your jar before you glue.

To make this a bit more sturdy & keep the label from ripping, I did a few different things. First I glued the label to the jar & let it dry. Then I sprayed over the whole label with Mod Podge Clear Acrylic Sealer to keep the colors from running. Once that was dry, I gave everything a good coat of Mod Podge Matte Finish. Yes, a bit extreme but now I'm 99.9% sure nothing will destroy the label. Well, as long as my kids or dog don't get a hold of it that is, those three could destroy anything.

Have fun making your own jar labels!

No comments:

Post a Comment