Saturday, November 16, 2013

Sew Wonderful {Hybrid} by Wendy Tunison Designs

Wendy's hybrid chick Stephanie here, how many of you got interrupted during DSD weekend while you were trying to scrap? I got interrupted a lot, apparently my family doesn't understand the words "Do not enter!" However the constant interruption led to my latest hybrid project made with with Wendy's Sew Wonderful Bundle. If you're someone who loves to sew or just loves sewing stuff, this is the bundle for you!


I found this the perfect kit to make a crafting themed "STAY OUT" doorknob hanger for my office. Cute yet functional!


Making a hanger is super easy, I did a quick search on the interwebz & found a bunch of free hanger  patterns to choose from. I went with a square top since that would be easier to cut & I liked the look of it. When you import the pattern into your scrapping program, it's a good idea to measure the size of the hole you're going to cut out to put over the doorknob just to make sure that it's the right size. My doorknob (a standard size) is just under 2 inches in diameter so I made the cut out around 2.25 inches in diameter.

You can make your hanger any size you'd like, just be sure to leave enough room around the cut out to provide some stability to the hanger. Then design away! As you can see, I made my own little stop sign using the chunky alpha from the bundle, love how it turned out.

After you're happy with your design, print it out & get that Mod Podge ready. If you want to make this very sturdy, glue the hanger to a piece of cardboard or chipboard. You can either do this before or after you trim the hanger, there's really no right way to do this. I ended up using chipboard & did a very rough trim around the hanger. Then I glued the hanger to the chipboard & trimmed all the rest of the white paper along with the chipboard.

One new thing I did with this project is to sand the edges of the hanger after I had trimmed the white paper & extra chipboard away. My main reason for doing this was that exposed edges of the chipboard got very rough & really needed to be smoothed. I used some sandpaper I found in my husband's tool box, nothing too rough & I just sanded very gently until I was happy with the results.

To finish, I inked the edges of the hanger; once the ink was dry I gave it a coat of Mod Podge Clear Acrylic Sealer & then good coat of Mod Podge Matte Finish when the sealer was dry.

I haven't had a chance to put the hanger to use yet but I have shown it to my boys & made it clear that if the hanger is up, Mommy is not to be disturbed! We'll see if they actually stop when they see the stop sign. Have fun, I bet you can think of a lot of great door knob hangers to make!

No comments:

Post a Comment